Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sexual Health and the Employee Assistance Professional

On October 23rd, I presented in Dallas at the World Conference for the EA Professional. (see http://www.eapassn.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1117) The general topic is sexual health and how the EA professional needs a basic awareness of the sexual health model in triaging employees. As always appropriate self-knowledge, awareness of resources, and targeted referrals is a necessary part of the process.

What was "scary" for the presentation was how little sexual health training many of these folks received in their formal degree program. I know our academic programs are full (remember, I teach in a program), but given the importance of sexuality in everyone's lives, I would advocate for additional training. Playfully, the participants at the conference recognize that they are now the "experts." An expert is someone who has more skill or training than those around him/her. Given that definition, a simple workshop will make someone an expert in that they know more than those around them. If that isn't scary, I don't know what else will.

If you would like a copy of the presentation, please contact me back channel. I will forward a copy of the handout which reviews the sexual health model, and provides specific suggestions for the EA professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment