Sunday, May 3, 2009

The new intro

I wrote a new intro to the workbook.

Too many people are struggling to live a life they love. Consider the following conversations.

Me: Hello, this is Weston. How may I help you?
Client: Hi. I need to set up an appointment for therapy.
Me: OK. Can you tell me a bit to see if I’m a right fit?
Client: I keep having sex with a lot of people. I don’t seem to be able to stop.
Or,
Client: Yeah. My probation officer told me I had to see you because I was arrested.
Or,
Client: My partner is threatening to break up because I’m on the Internet too much.
Or,
Client: I went home with a sexual partner last night, and I think I was raped. I don’t know for sure. I can’t remember everything.
Or,
Client: I’m too scared to have any type of sexual contact.
Or.
Client: Can you help me find help for my partner? I just found out he’s been having sex with other people. I don’t know what to do.
And one more.
Client: Yeah, I just found out I’m HIV positive. I’ve been drinking, drugging, and having lots of sex.

My heart breaks at the frequency of these real conversations I have on a weekly basis. In the realm of sexuality, feelings of hurt and hopelessness abound. In my opinion, it is a courageous act to pick up a book on sexuality. Simply starting this workbook is movement toward healing. This workbook is committed to helping you move forward and address the issues related to problematic sexual behaviors. In the end, my goal is you will have the freedom to say, “I’m living a life I love.” Shall we begin?

No comments:

Post a Comment