Friday, November 12, 2010

Masturbation, Internet and Sexual Health

One of the major concerns in assessing the internet is the linkage between sexual media and masturbation. Often partners will have different opinions in addressing masturbation. In some opinions, masturbation is a healthy outlet within a relationship and should be incorporated into an individual’s relationship with him or her self as well as his or her partner. Masturbation can be a way to discover what you like sexually, as well as what parts of you body are most arousing or sensitive. In this example, masturbation can lead to a heightened awareness of self that can be shared with your partner. In other opinions, masturbation is a form of settling when the primary partner isn’t available. One example is a guideline within a relationship where you ask the partner if he/she is available for sexual behavior contact before you masturbate. If the partner says, “no” masturbation is allowed. Still other opinions view masturbation as a sin.
The key to the following questions is to clarify your opinions, beliefs and values about masturbation. Consider how the internet has impacted these values. Think about the role of masturbation in your definition of sexual health.

• Under what circumstances are masturbatory behaviors unhealthy for you?
• Under what circumstances are masturbatory behaviors healthy for you?
• What are my current values toward masturbation and fantasy?
• What are my current appropriate masturbation behaviors? (Where, when, how often?)
• What are my guidelines about disclosing my masturbation behaviors to my partner?
• What are my guidelines about disclosing my fantasies to my partner?
• What are my partner’s reaction to these guidelines?

No comments:

Post a Comment